Communicating Sustainability in 2023
Jun 7, 2023 | 11:00 am - 12:30 pm
Getting your sustainability communications right is critical in 2023. Mindful Fashion is hosting The Commerce Commission alongside GoodSense, experienced communications specialists, for a balanced discussion to help you navigate the challenges and opportunities of communicating sustainability impact.
The benefits of communicating sustainability are clear, but it needs to be done right. This is especially true in 2023 with green claims legislation coming into full force both in New Zealand and in international markets including Australia, the UK and the EU, as greenwashing practices become rife. Opening up about social and environmental impact can be risky. If it's done wrong, it can open your organisation up to backlash and regulatory scrutiny, and can alienate your audience.
How can brands and retailers tell customers about their sustainability advancements – while sticking to the rules and avoiding the greenwashing trap? How can we support brands and retailers that invest in sustainable practices over and above those that do not? This session will present a balanced discussion on the rules in New Zealand around communicating about sustainability, with tips on how to communicate in an honest and transparent way.
Commerce Commission Guidance
The following resources provide further details to consider from a Fair Trading Act compliance perspective.
- Environmental claims – a guide for traders.
- Making accurate claims “If you can’t back it up don’t say it”
- Fair Trading Act: Unsubstantiated representations
What we will cover
- The rules for communicating about sustainability in New Zealand;
- Rights and responsibilities under the Fair Trading Act;
- How businesses can tell customers about their sustainability impact and ambitions in a way that engages people but is also honest, transparent and rigorous.
- How to master good sustainability communications and avoid greenwashing.
Please note: This event is free for Mindful Fashion members.
The charge for non-members is $25. Find out more on how to become a member.
- Vanessa Horne - Acting Chief Executive, Commerce Commission
- Kirsten Mannix - Acting General Manager, Fair Trading branch, Commerce Commission
- Kath Dewar, Managing Director, GoodSense Marketing
Introducing our Speakers
Acting Chief Executive, Commerce Commission
Acting General Manager, Fair Trading branch, Commerce Commission
Founder & Managing Director. GoodSense Marketing
GoodSense is an outsource ethical marketing team, and a Certified B Corp. Kath is also on the Board of the Sustainable Business Network and the Advisory Board to the University of Auckland’s Circular Economy Beacon (CEBUS).